The Cosmetology Industry is one of the largest and most lucrative in the Western world and continues to grow.
Our hairdressing program at The Academy provides more than the basics, which included advanced training in practical skills and related theory of hairstyling.
These skills are the foundation on which to build, and remain current in the ever-changing trends in hair fashion.
Purpose and Goals
- Graduates of the Cosmetology Program will acquire the necessary skills and the knowledge to:
- Apply and work with the in-depth study of hair cutting and design.
- Apply the theory and practical aspects of hair color, including specialty techniques: foils, three dimensional color, highlighting, and pre-lightening applications.
- Apply the principals of permanent waving
- Learn and adapt new concepts developed in the industry.
- Benefit from the training in the field al all aspects of hairstyling.
- Learn the scientific approach to chemicals and their reactions to the hair and skin
- Perform client consultation skills and learn to work independently.
- Learn and perform reception duties, retail sales, and salon management/entrepreneurial skills.
- In conjunction with our study of professional image, we offer as a bonus, a short skin care and makeup course.
- Benefit from guest speakers sharing their knowledge and skill.
- Extensions and Straightening
- The program is 1500 hours. The school week is 36.5 hours with classes on Monday, Tuesday, Friday 8:30 am to 4:00 pm and Wednesday or Thursday 8:30 am to 8:30 pm (allowing for weekends off).
- Tuition is $10,857.50 which includes: a non-refundable registration fee of $200.00, textbooks, professional Cosmetology/Hairdressing Kit containing necessary equipment and supplies, the Cosmetology Association of Nova Scotia Student Card Fee plus Provincial Exam fee.
- Upon successful completion of this program you will receive a Diploma in Cosmetology/Hairdressing - which will qualify you to write the Cosmetology Association of Nova Scotia Provincial Exam.
Prerequisite for this program is Grade 12 or acceptable equivalent (call for details).
In addition to your Academy Diploma you will recieve the following certifications:
- Goldwell Intro to Color
- Goldwell Advanced coloring certificate
- Goldwell Advanced cutting certificate
- Kerasilk Straightening certificate
- Goldwell Product Knowledge